Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Early Spring Flowers - Crocus

Image Source: ©Copyright 2013 Zippers. All rights reserved. 
Some Northern States of the US might still have a few weeks of cold weather left, but here, on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Spring is starting to show itself off. The groundhog's prediction of early Spring is coming true :) The mild weather on the Outer Banks was a treat this winter. Sure, we had a few weeks of cold weather, but we also had plenty of 50°F to  65°F days. And now we are excited about the early onset of Spring and the early Spring flowers. The crocuses in the photo featured in this post are blooming in our front yard! To be honest with you, I had very little hope that these beautiful flowers would ever see the light of the day. I bought crocus bulbs in late November or early December at a 75% discount at Home Depot and only paid $2 or $3 for around 50 of them. It was around a month past the "plant by" date, so I planted the bulbs, watered them, and pretty much forgot about them for a couple months until recently, when, to my complete amazement, I noticed these yellow and purple crocuses. What a wonderful Spring surprise!

I wish I had some great gardening tips to share, but the only tip I have for an inexperienced gardener like myself is to plant early Spring flowers in the fall in an area where they can get at least 6 hours of direct sun.

We have been truly enjoying watching these beautiful crocuses grow and bloom. I think at least 40 of the 50 bulbs I planted produced flowers. What a treat! Happy Early Spring!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...